Posted By Ed B

One of the few remaining B17s crashed and burned today. The crew escaped, which appears to be a miracle.


 B17 Liberty Belle


Last year I was privileged to see this in Ypsilanti, over Willow Run Airport.

Posted By Ed B

This used to be the greeting of Christians 2000 years ago.
The word for it was Maranatha.
It was probably code for "I'm a Christian."

Like drawing a fish in the sand with your toe.

But it's all about the Risen.
If indeed He is risen,
He knows something about death and resurrection,
that we need to know.

Fortuneately He's not keeping it to Himself.
"Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of [our] faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God."
What was the joy set before Him?
He had a throne before he came here.
He didn't have you.

Happy Easter.

Posted By Ed B

Something I read tonight over at Rita's reminded me of something I wanted to post a couple weeks ago. It often happens that I think of something I want to post and then the ADD kicks in and it's gone.

Years ago, when I was a new apprentice, I met another apprentice named Wayne.
Wayne was bright and sharp and a pleasure to talk to.
I looked forward to talking to him in the crib or around the shop.
One day we got into a discussion about abortion rights. He told me that even though he was personally opposed to abortion, he didn't think it right to impose his morality on someone else. I gave him my opinion on the subject. 
If he personally thinks it wrong, then why?
Is it because it's killing a human life?
Then why not oppose it?
You know the drill.
Well, one day as I was entering the parts crib, I saw Wayne look at me and exit.
That happened a couple times more.
Finally, I cornered him in the locker room and asked what's up with that?
He replied that while he liked talking to me, the discussion of abortion was causing him consternation.
He said that when the discussion would come up, he could think of no way to refute what I said, but that he wouldn't change his mind on the subject.
He said that the easiest way for him to deal with the internal conflict was to just avoid talking to me.
That was an eye opener for me.
I realized that day, that reasoning with someone was not the way to change someones position, be it politics or religion.
People will believe what they want to believe, no matter what their brain tells them.
I think that this is related to "counting the cost" as Jesus encourages us to do.
Perhaps Wayne knew that to change his position on abortion would cost him his marriage or another set of friends he had.
It may not have even been a conscious decision for him.
Maybe the way to get people to change is to get them to want to believe something else.

If you want to believe that God would send HIs son to die for our sins and save us from destruction... if that thought appeals to you... if you'd like to think that God thought that much of you... maybe someday you'll make the leap.

If you don't, I'll still be your friend.

Posted By Ed B

Excerped from a letter I transcribed for my friend Nate Weiser to a high school class that had asked him to relate his Pearl Harbor experience on Dec 7th, 1941.
Nate and his two friends had been on a date the night before with some nurses.

My two friends and I were going to visit a friend later in the day who was in the Navy, and in Pearl Harbor for a short stay. We were in the Mess Hall around 7:50am Sunday morning. We were waiting in line for our Super Sunday Breakfast before we would go to see our friend when around 8:00am, give or take a few minutes, we heard a large noise that shook the building, and all the stacks of dishes that were on the table fell to the floor. The Mess Sergeant came out and was cussing everyone out. Right then, the second bomb fell and the table plus the food went crashing to the floor. I ran to the door and saw the Japanese Insignia on the aircraft and said to Don and Merrill, "Why are the Japanese planes here? This could be war!"
The planes were strafing all over the area. We were going to hide under the warehouse building next to the Mess Hall, but "Indian Joe", a WW1 veteran told us to get going and try to go to the Residential Area, and go in between the buildings so we wouldn't get hit. We saw the Number 1 hangar on the runway in flames. Half of it was full of ammunition (rumor had it that we were going to Wake Island in a very short time). They hit that hangar first, they knew what was in it. The planes on the ramp were tail to tail, all they did was strafe down the line and get two planes at a time. The reason they were tail to tail was so every Saturday morning the post could march in front of the commander before we had the weekend free. It was a miserable sight to see with us running for our lives. The planes flew so low that you could see some of the pilots red scarves and goggles. That sight I will never forget.
We finally got to the Residential Area and I went into one of the homes near Schofield Barracks. A sergeant lived there and had a couple of children. He told us to stay for a while and then go back to our base for instructions. It was thought that the Japanese might land and try to take the island over. The sergeant would get his company and go up into the mountains, and if the Japanese did invade, he told his wife what to do. We went back to the barracks, and each one of us got a .45 and a belt full of ammo. The second wave of planes was not as great as the first, but that evening it started to rain. The captain called us in his portable quarters and gave us a box about 8' long, 6" wide and 4 or 5" high. He told us that in case of emergency, this would be our only communications between our squadron and Honolulu, so guard it with all our might. It was a transmitter and receiver, all in one! We were to be sure to let him know where we were at all times. We decided to head toward the mountain, but not too far from the runway, near the captain, and hid in case of invasion, but where the planes would not strafe us. Little did we realize that the water off the mountain (it being a very rainy night) would fill our foxhole. We had a very uncomfortable couple of nights. We were very happy to learn after a couple of days that there would be no invasion by the Japanese. All islands were in blackout nights from here on in. By 1943 I was a Staff Sergeant and I and two other Sgts were sent back to the States to go to OCS. (Nate was to be an officer but declined. Also, his two friends died in the attack). After one and a half months, I asked to be sent back to the Air Force.
I was then assigned to Jefferson Barracks in St.. Louis. From there I was assigned to Richmond, Va with the 365th Fighter Bomber Group, 386th Squadron . I was a Tech Sgt and communication chief for P-47 Thunderbolts in the 9th Air Force. We got an all expenses paid tour of Europe.

Posted By Ed B

Last night I had the pleasure of attending an Eagle Scout ceremony.
It was held in a church hall and dinner was served afterwards.

Scouting officials were in abundance. Testimonials were spoken and some were delivered from our governor, a senator and two congressmen.

Gabriel is 18. He's home schooled.
I've seen he and his sister (who is also active in scouting, a "Venture Scout") grow up in our church.
They were both home schooled until high school.
In high school, they took classes concurrently with the local community college.
When Gabe graduated this year, he did so with a high school degree and an associate's degree. His sister will, too.
He is now studying at University of Michigan/Dearborn.

He has management courses under his belt and he's headed to an electrical engineering degree.

Every astronaut who has walked on the moon is an Eagle Scout.

It's not an easy task to become one.
Next time you hear someone say, "he's such an eagle scout", like it's uncool, ask how uncool it would be to walk on the moon.

Good job, Gabe.



User Profile
Ed B
Ypsilanti, MI


You have 1408502 hits.

Latest Comments